Friday, May 11, 2012

(New Products + Theory = Experiment) = Success

New Paints

The other evening I went a ways to a hobby shop to purchase some paints from the Tamiya paint line. I really enjoy the effect the clear colors can give to a miniature so I purcahsed some clear red and smoke colors. I also noticed they had a Vallejo Game Color paint stand so I purchased a bottle of brush on primer and a bottle of black ink which is more of an experiment to see if it may work better compared to Citadel's Badab Black which is now Nuln Oil.

FLGS is not F for Friendly

One thing which makes me dislike my shopping experience is the owner or manager. He must have watched me like a Hawk the entire time all the way till I left the store. I remember a hobby shop back in my home town who had an owner like this, they are gone along with another. I can only think of two reasons to watch me like a hawk, fear of theft or creep. I actually wanted to walk back in and return the $20 worth of paint I had just purchased. If it had not been for the employee who helped me convert the new Citadel colors back to the old Citadel colors I would have returned the products. I can understand fearing theft, but to put this much emphasis on it is bad for business and plain harassment to a customer. I wonder if giving the place a call would help, but the owner may not care or give the reserve the right speech. I know I can get Tamiya and Vallejo paints anywhere and other hobby shops have the new Citadel paints.

Spot Priming Experiment

My last post I mentioned some of my models received heat damage. The heat damage caused paint to vanish from the models in spots exposing the bare metal. painting over the metal does not seem to work and I did not want to start over again. I experimented by using thin amounts of the Vallejo Game Color brush primer on the bare metal spots of one model and allowed the model to dry. Once the primer was dry I applied the Citadel paint I normally use over the primer and to my amazement it worked. I went ahead and finished spot priming on the model where needed and applied the spot priming on the other model. I allowed both models to dry after spot priming till the next evening. I believe I may have a few more heat damaged models so I think I should be able to create a small tutorial if is wanted.

Tyranid Paint Recipe Improving

I believe I am going to follow the Citadel painting guide for painting gray for painting my Tyranids body color. I currently use Mechanicus Standard Grey along wth a coat of Nuln Oil. This gives a fleshy appearance, but I feel it needs a bit more work. I think with the addition of highlights using Dawnstone and then Administratum Grey as they suggest and maybe washes and or inks in between I can acheive a good great flesh appearance.

I am still working on the Armor for the Tyranids, but I think Averland Sunset followed by a wash of Seraphim Sepia is the correct direction so far. The Seraphim Sepia gives a nice orange tink to the recesses portions. I think the next part is apply Averland Sunset again on the raised portions either full or slightly thinned. Using a different color has me stumped because I have not found one yet.

I will work on them some more this weekend so I should have better pictures than last time.

Sorry I did not have any pictures for you, but here is a picture of my cats trying to tell me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment